Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Living Words


Three things of every kind:

Three things of life that once gone, never come back:

Time, Words & Opportunity


Three things of life that must not be lost:

Peace, Hope & Honesty.


Three things of life that are most valuable:

Love, Self-confidence & Friends


Three things of life that are never sure:

Dreams, Success & Fortune



Three things that make a man:

Hard Work, Sincerity & Commitment


Three things of life that destroy a man:

Wine, Pride & Anger


I asked the Lord to bless you,

as I prayed for you today,

to guide you and protect you,

as you go along your way...


His love is always with you,

His promises are true,


and when we give Him all our cares,

you know He will see us through.

******************************

STEVEN REID

"Steven is a great person, thoughtful, kind, helpful and funny."

"Dedicated and unassuming. Steve's a great guy, and I'm happy to have him as my friend!"

"Steve always has a way of putting a smile on my face by sharing a kind word, thoughtful comment or humorous anecdote. "

"It's time for you due day in the sun. Steven is a good God freeing man with more heart than anyone I know. Give up is a word that's so far behind him now it amazes me.I'm proud to be Steve's adland friend.He's a hard worker and is always there to help.My friend Steve get's the top rating 10 all the way.A 10 is a 10 but a friend is numberless have a good one bud."

These are just some of what friends are saying about Steven!

God bless you Steve!

******************************

And now Ladys and Gentlemen, let's welcome

Steven Reid!


******************************

I must say this was totally unexpected. I never expected smething like this to happen to me.

I am the oldest of 3 children in my family. I was born at Travis AFB, Merced Ca in 1955. My younger sister Susan was born in Charleston SC, and my baby sister Cathy was born in Montgomery AL. Yes we were born into a military family as you are probably wondering.

I never really applied myself in my school years other than reading (something I really enjoyed back then and still do now). Unfortunately this followed me most of my life.

Completed one enlistment in the U.S. Navy, and when re-enlistment time came around, I declined. Another mistake. This set up a pattern that was to follow me for the next 8 years.

These next 8 years were spent just traveling (mostly hitch hiking) around the country. Working day labor jobs, selling blood, and very little else. There was definately no direction let alone motivation in my life at this time.
Note: the section that follows here, is taken from the about me portion of my profile here, which sums up the rest of this biography.

For years I have taken a lot of things for granted, including my faith. Since July of 1981, I have lived and worked at a local Rescue Mission in Washington PA; re-committed my life to Christ; had the opprotunity ( and blessing) to participate in and go to Liberi West Africa with New Tribes Missions , which really opened my eyes as to What "really was going on daily around the world, and to exactly what various missionaries encountered."

I was married on May 9th of 1987, and my wife Mary and I had a son born to us on 11 April 1988. His name is Joshua and he's now 17. Even with all these " Blessings" God was supplying to me daily, that old "sinful nature" was still present and soon I "drifted again". I started driving "Big Trucks" over the road and this lasted for a little over 12 years. This little "stint" not only cost me my faith, but almost cost me my wife, my family and my life as well.

On August 4,2005, I was in route to Frederick MD to deliver a load of PVC pipe for the following morning. I had stopped at a small truck stop for the night on the PA?MD state line.Was going to have dinner, then proceed the following morning to my delivery appointment. That night, however, I became deathly ill. Nothing would stay down; loss of balance; shortness of breath; I couldn't even sit on the edge of my bunk without being overwhelmed .

Paramedics arrived the following day around 1:00 pm. I'm very thankful the company I worked for had Satalite Communications installed in their trucks. I was taken to York Hospital in York PA, and it was determined that I had had a Heart attack.

I was scheduled for Catheterization that evening. All I remember was the preperation, and going under with that anestesia. I was informed later that during the procedure, they had implanted one stent succesfully, and were in process of implanting the second stent, when I went into total blockage.

All during this, as I said, I remember "nothing" Like if you are in a very deep, breamless sleep. " This was God's protective Hand in Action" at this point."He" brought me thought this and the following surgery to implant the pacemaker I now have.

This may seem a bit on the extreme side as far as God's Love and caring is perceived, but in my case, it was the discipline I needed to make me realize what I was doing, and what could have happened without it. After all this, I had to stop and look closley at "what was really important".

To put everything in a nutshell, having the means to live comfortably is fine, but the first priority in life "should be focusing on what God wants and expect from all His children". And that is what each and everyone one of us on the face of this world is, His children.

Now that my life has taken a radical change, I find that getting this message out is my primary purpose. God will provide the rest.

Please don't take this as an attack on your beliefs, because that is not what I'm intending. I have just had to change my own opinions on what's most important in life.

May the Lord continue to watch over you in all your endeavors.
Steven G.Reid

******************************

Congratulation Steven and thank you for being our friend!

2 comments:

AM said...

Hello Steven!
It was a pleasure for me to do this blog in your honour.
Is always wonderfull to share with people these kind of celebration moments!
Thank you for being my friend too, and Congrats for everything you are!
Take care and God Bless you!
WIth friendship,
Anamaria

Cheryl Ellen Baxter said...

Hi Steven,

Great to see you here Steve! I'm glad to celebrate this with you. You are a kind heart. Enjoy your week!!! :-)

Cheryl Baxter